Some pitures and memories of my two years on the Bothie.

Duty Bugler


On the Bothie the main activities of the day were regulated by distinctive bugle calls - "Charlie" (Reveille) to rise, "both watches" to call the ship's company together, "mess cooks" to have tables set, etc. Four of the band's buglers were appointed to sound these calls taking it in turns to be on duty for solo calls but playing together for the main events - "Charlie", "General Salute" at the raising of the flag "Sunset" when the flag was lowered and "Last Post" at the end of the day. Duty buglers would be woken by the night watchman, "Pop" about fifteen minutes before everyone else so that they could play "Charlie" in the main hall in front of the Honours board. They would stay up when others snuggled into their hammocks and turn in after Lights Out. This was not so bad in summer but not so good in winter.

Duty buglers were paid three shillings and sixpence per month in addition to their one shilling per week pocket money. I had owned a bugle before joining the Bothie and was soon made a duty bugler - the only Chum for most of my first year. Old Boys will know what I mean when I say that somehow I did more solo calls than my Old Salt fellows getting their three and six. At the final prizegiving I was awarded the "Silver Bugle Floating Trophy" for getting up early and going to bed late. I wonder what happened to this fine old instrument that hung in the trophy cabinet.

The picture shows the band in 1948.
(L to R) Seated: Dickson (Jnr and the best boxer of my time), Richardson, Hayhoe (Drum Major), ? (Jnr), Harmon
Back: ? (Jnr), Kros, ? (Jnr) Staats, ?(Jnr), ? (Jnr), ?(Jnr), Brown, Thompson,
Clarke,?(Jnr.).